MAP Wellness

MAP Wellness
Spreading the Health

Friday, February 24, 2012

Almond Cheesey Spread

Remember my post about coconut muffins (previous entry!)?  Well, my inspiration for creating those lovely morsels, was the simple fact that I required a vessel to drive my creamy delicious homemade almond spread to yummy-ville.  

I was creating this here almond cheese at the time, and sadly I must say that I much preferred the muffins sans spread, or smeared with a easy dollop of coconut oil over using this exact almond creation.  This creamy concoction is much too savory a treat, but pairs smashingly with crispy crackers or toast (I love it with Mary's gluten free crackers as shown in the above pic!)

Here's the SIMPLE recipe!

Whatcha need:
-  1 generous cup of raw almonds
-  1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
-  1 Tbsp lemon juice
-  1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
-  salt & pepper to taste
 
What to Do:
1. Soak almonds in boiled water for 3-4 hours (until softened)
2. Remove the skins by pinching the almonds between your fingers.


5. In Vitamix (if you are lucky enough to own one!) or food processor, add the almonds, 1/3 c. water, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, yeast and salt & pepper.
6. Blend until smooth. Add seasonings to taste!



You can add in other flavourings of your choice as well; maybe green onion, chives, or paprika for a more pungent flavour, or vanilla and your choice of sweetener for a more dessert like version (that would have been nicer on my muffins!).


Oh, and I must make a shout-out to my dear friend Sarah Kelsey for gifting me these adorable plates for my 31st birthday!  They are just so sweetly Canadian!  Love them, love you Sarah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment