MAP Wellness

MAP Wellness
Spreading the Health

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Delish Coconut Muffins


I was in my kitchen, whipping up a homemade batch of almond "cream cheese", when I had a thought.  I like slathering cream cheese on muffins.  Not bagels.  Muffins.  And I haven't had muffins in the house in a very long time.  Growing up, my mother almost always prepared a big batch on Saturday mornings, the freshly baked delights just ready when us kids awoke.  We would each enjoy one or more, topping the still warm treats with margarine or jam.  We were always sure to leave plenty left to power the family through the always rushed mornings of the following week.  Now, I admit that I possess not even half the "batter brilliance" of my mother, and have been known to state quite clearly, that 'I am a cook, not a baker".  But I thought I'd give it a go, flexing my non-existent electric-mixer-muscles, in the hopes of discovering  a long hidden talent...

But, since I am eating gluten free and vegan, this proved even more difficult than first imagined.  And, after a quick scan of my cupboards, it was clear I was in for an even greater challenge; I had brown rice flour in stock, and virtually nothing more!  No sugar, no other flours, no baking soda,  powder, or cornstarch. 

But I did have coconut milk, coconut shreds, and a mixer, plus a little dash of creativity!

Whatcha Need:
1 Cup coconut milk
1 1/2 cups soy milk
1 tbsp water (as needed - optional)
1 1/4 cups brown rice flour
2 cups coconut (shredded, sweetened) 
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp white sugar (for sprinkling - optional)

Preheat your oven to 375 degreesF (190 degrees C). Spray your muffin tin with cooking spray OR rub your muffin tin cups with organic coconut oil for some extra tropical yum (that's what I did!).


Mix together the  milks. Stir in the rice flour, shredded coconut, and salt. You may need to add more flour or water in order to get that classic muffin batter consistency (I am not a food scientist! Baking or not, I still eyeball things!).  Spoon the mixture into the prepared mini muffin cups, and sprinkle with sugar if desired.



Bake in the preheated oven until the tops are golden brown and crusty, about 30 minutes.


These were just what I wanted.  I really don't have much of a sweet tooth, but these puppies were just sweet and cake-like enough to satisfy my need for a treat.  Plus, they made a great vessel for my aforementioned "creamy cheese"!


2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Were they dense or fluffy??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were quite dense- pound cake like. But yummy!

      Delete